We'll show you how Hawaii celebrates Halloween and give you some ideas for some potential costumes you should bring along!
Activities on the islands
Halloween in Hawaii is a unique experience, because you get a mix of all the thrills and chills of the holiday, with a nice mix of island life activities as well.
- Sea Life Park Halloween Festival: Head to the Sea Life Park on Oahu island and play amongst the sea creatures! You can get dressed up and the kids can participate in a costume contest. Afterwards, you can watch the Dolphin Lagoon Show and go trick-or-treating! This is a park filled with family fun.
- Hallowbaloo Music and Arts Festival: Honolulu's arts and culture district is throwing their annual street festival that you can't miss out on. It is dubbed the best costume party in the Pacific and also just so happens to be Hawaii's largest music showcase. Check out Hawaii State Art Museum and the culture around it!
- The Great Pumpkin Festival: East Honolulu is celebrating its fourth annual Great Pumpkin festival - and it has everything you want in a Halloween outing. Pick pumpkins from the patch, participate in some arts and crafts, peruse local markets, play with the animals at the petting zoo or shop around the various vendor booths for Hawaiian garb and grub. There's live entertainment too, so there's a little something for everyone.
Halloween costume ideas
Now that you know what you're doing, you're going to need to have a killer costume to win any contests you enter! Something like a luau girl outfit - you know, the flower crown, coconut bra and grass skirt - might be a good selection for back home, but it's little too on-theme for Hawaii. So instead, we'll share some of our more creative outfits that are fit for the whole family. Check them out:
- Tourists: Embrace what you are - a tourist! This is the perfect costume if you're willing to poke a little fun at yourself. Put on your novelty Hawaiian shirts, straw hats, a nose covered with white sunscreen and even get some red body paint to fake sunburn (unless you have one already).
- Traditional spooks: Designate a family member to one of Halloween's many ghouls and goblins. Wrap up mum as a mummy, turn Junior into Dracula, have dad go as Frankenstein and get sister do her makeup as a zombie. You'll scare the whole village.
- TV family: Is there a show or movie that everyone comes together to watch as a family? Why not give a nod to your favourite fictional fam? The Simpsons, The Incredibles or even go as the Scooby Doo gang and solve some crime together!
- Cell phone emojis: Just look down at your phone and see which emoji you use the most! This is an easy costume to throw together, and there's an emotion for every family member so no one will feel left out.
- Superheroes: Everyone has a favourite superhero! Whether you're a Justice League family, or prefer the Avengers, you can't go wrong.
Don't forget to indulge in some of America's classic Halloween movies like 'It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown' or 'Hocus Pocus'. And really get into the spirit of things by carving some jack-o-lanterns. If you're off to Hawaii for Halloween, just follow this guide and you're set to have a good time!
- Posted in Hawaii